Mill Hill Primary Curriculum
What is the school’s vision?
Learning for a Lifetime is our aim for all pupils. Our curriculum is built upon the school values and the needs of the school community. Whole school themes are used to drive all of the learning, whilst quality first teaching principles with a clear lesson structure enable staff to deliver the best learning opportunities.
How is this vision shown in the curriculum?
· Whole school themes
· Based on class interests
· Based on current news/affairs
· Uses links with the local area and develops these
· Ensures time is given to the direct teaching of skills
· Based on a key rich text
· Links with curriculum areas
Expectations of our curriculum
The purpose of the Mill Hill curriculum is focused on acquiring the skills, knowledge and understanding through interesting opportunities. Pupils will gain experience of the wider world so that they understand themselves and others and can engage in society. The curriculum intends to develop habits of effective learners through the language of the learning (toolkit) by supporting, stretching and challenging learners to prepare for the modern world. Throughout the curriculum, we help children to apply these techniques through whole school themes and opportunities.
We think carefully about the best ways to deliver our curriculum and use a range of successful approaches named below.
· Active, practical activities
· Use of trips and first hand experiences
· Book based curriculum to make learning relevant and contextual
· Topic based curriculum linking to english and maths
· Learning for a lifetime curriculum
· Opportunities to present (purposeful) learning
· Use of the Learning toolkit
· Opportunities for challenge in each lesson
· Interventions for pre-teaching/ support
· Opportunities for talk to share points of view, listen to others and challenge ideas
· Links with our whole school values which run through the entire curriculum including being taught in assemblies and PSHE
· Opportunities to link with our wider community
· Use of pupil leadership including the school council, house captains, head boy and girl
Impact/achievement- on children’s understanding and knowledge
Our curriculum helps our pupils to develop positive attitudes towards learning so they attend school enthusiastically and are passionate about the new knowledge they are acquiring. Pupils develop skills, knowledge and our values, not just in the classroom, but also around the school independently which shows the clear understanding needed for ARE and beyond. Children leave Mill Hill ready for their secondary school and equipped for their future.